So I am driving to the store, and I ask myself the following: How many numbers are there really? Don't laugh, I am sure Wal-Mart has that effect on lots of people.
Now I am not talking about integers and reals, rationals and irrationals. I am talking about numbers that matter... philosophically. And I conclude that there are two: "one" and "many".
It is no big epiphany that 0, 1, and infinity are all just variations on a theme. Plenty of people have toyed with this idea before. To have everything is to have nothing, inside of nothing resides the whole. This is basic circle stuff - go around far enough and you reach the beginning.
But beyond 1 and before infinity (or between 0 and 1 if you prefer) is the middle. It's where you find things like "2", and "some", and "most". As a database geek, I can see the utility of the concept, but as someone who is not currently a big proponent of the primacy of duality, I'm kind of hoping that at some future point I am going to have to come back and revise this post.
No comments:
Post a Comment